Monday, July 16, 2012

Dream versus Reality


When we were in Primary school, teachers will give everyone a form to fill in our ambitions. The funny thing is, what we mostly fill in are not what we really dream to be. Instead, the ambitions that we filled in are those jobs that we encounter the most in our lives. So it come out, the most popular ambitions to be would be doctors, teachers, policemen and lawyers. Little did we know, that most of our so-called ambitions will not turn out the same when we grow up.

When I was young, I've always wanted to be an archaeologist. In the beginning, I chose to become an archaeologist not because I wanted to. I've chose it as one of my main ambition just simply because it was unique, and none of my friends wanted to become an archaeologist. Never have I thought that one day, it would come to my mind that to become an archaeologist is my goal for my entire life. I've been reading a lot of articles about the amazing things in this world such as the mummies, the Moai, pyramids, the Terracotta Army etc etc. So it had become my dream to explore these amazing creations and maybe, discover more if I have the chance.



However, the reality is always cruel. To become an archaeologist, I would need to sacrifice my time, energy and even money. While the fame and fortune will only happen if I have any discovery. I do not have confidence in sacrificing any of those only to chase my dream. So, I've set a goal to become an archaeologist only after I've earn my first "bucket of gold".

The lucky thing is, I never have any hard time in finding another ambition. I was interested in everything and I wanted to become everything! Artist, writer, director, lawyer, TV producer, PR etc etc It is one of my weakness to be interested in that particular job after I've watched dramas with the heroes and heroines acting on it. And my friend had often made fun of me because of this. Well, of course I know that dramas always like to exaggerate to make the story more interesting. Yet this weakness of mine have made me discovered another ambition of mine, which is--- a TV producer!


I was addicted to K-Pop (short form for Korean Pop Music) since 2009 which I have been listening to the K-Pop songs, watching Korean drama and variety shows ever since. To my amazement is, Korea is a very small country with language that differ from ours yet the K-Pop and K-Drama industries are growing rapidly. The Koreans are very good in packaging their idols and it is the main factor which leads to the growth of the Korea entertainment industry. That's when I thought, if the Korean can make this happen, why can't I? Since then, I have another goal, which is to bring the entertainment industry of Malaysia to another level. 

Well, yet again, my parents didn't encourage me because they think that the entertainment industry is very competitive and does not sound as glamorous as a lawyer. At first, I fought hard in defending my dream. I even went checking out those colleges offering this course and the scholarships offered. However, I got persuaded by my parents since I don't really have to worry about looking for a job since the demand for a lawyer is always high. To make sure that I can get a law course from local universities, I've changed from science stream to art stream during my A-levels. I started to pay more attention in class and studying harder so that this third ambition of mine would finally become reality. I had even worked in a law firm for 6 months just  to gain more experience in the law industry. 


For once, I've even started to believe that I'm going to be a lawyer in future. However, fate is a funny thing. When I've given up for my dreams at the broadcasting industry, I failed to obtain any offer for law course in the local universities. My parents and I were struck dumb as we thought that I had a high chance in gaining a law course in the local universities. Instead, I was offered Mass Communication in USM. Currently, I'm still on the fence to decide which course I'd like to pursue. And one thing I hope now is that the choice that I will be the correct one.



In the end of the day, what I realized is that what we dream for and the reality may be different. We may become someone that we've never thought we would be. But my advise for all is, no matter how hard will it be for us to pursue our dreams, never lose faith! We must believe that in the end of one hallway, there will be another left/right turn for us to continue walking. I believe that what I am experiencing now is to prepare myself for a better future. In future, I might be able to achieve my dreams (which is awesome) yet I might not. No matter what the outcomes turn out to be, at least I had dreams.





No comments: